Thursday, December 24, 2009

What's your favorite holiday movie?

I know I can be cliche at times, but no, my favorite holiday movie is not A Christmas Story. I watched this movie every year as a kid around Christmastime, but it always freaked me out. The bully with the yellow eyes scared the shit out of me, and I hated the part when Ralphie gets in trouble for saying "fuuuudge." (I have no idea why?) And that hideous lamp the dad buys—ick. I had the same feeling about the TV show Fraggle Rock—I always wanted to watch it, even though I knew it would leave me with an eerie feeling when it was over. Is anyone with me on this one? Somehow, I have the feeling the answer is no.

My absolute favorite holiday movie of all time is The Ref with Dennis Leary, Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. The wit and dry humor is awesome. You know those kind of movies where someone can do something as simple as make a facial expression or say "fuck" a certain way that makes you LOL? That's totally this movie—the comedic timing is genius.

There really are too many hilarious quotes in the movie to pick a favorite, but I love the part when Kevin Spacey says: "You think my life turned out the way I wanted because I live in this house? You think every morning I wake up, look in the mirror and say, 'Gee I'm glad I'm me and not some 19 year-old billionaire rockstar with the body of an athlete and a 24-hour erection!' No, I don't! So just excuse the shit out of me!" Another favorite line is when Christine Baranski says, "Slipper socks...medium." Don't know what I'm talking about? Rent the movie—stat!


So tell me: What's your favorite holiday movie?

9 comments:

  1. Ellen! You need to watch the movie closer. Ralphie says "Ohhhh fuuuudge" and then the narrator says "...except I didn't say 'fudge.'" WHY do I know this?! I hate that movie, but it's G's family tradition so now I've seen it 11 times!! Anyway...merry Christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh -- and my faves are Muppet Christmas Carol and Elf. "Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup!" I quote that movie all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what he really says, Kara, but I just hate that part for some reason!! It made me anxious, haha. And yesss, Elf is my second favorite..."smiling's my favorite..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole movie makes me a little sad and uncomfortable. Their house -- ugh. The soap, the lamp, the Ovaltine, the dogs that jump through the window and eat the turkey. It's all bad. I think it's meant for people who hate Christmas and think it's a miserable holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh -- and I thought you meant you had no idea why he got in trouble for saying fudge -- not that you had no idea why you hated it! Haha. You hate it because it's RIDICULOUS.

    Okay. I'm going to go to my sister's now and gorge on appetizers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I call Shenanigans on you ladies for not liking a Christmas Story. It is all things wonderful. My dad grew up in the midwest in the 50s, so he loves it. And the dad doesnt BUY the leg lamp - "It's a Major Award!"
    But I love me some Kevin Spacey, so I will have to check out The Ref.

    And Elf is a movie everyone can love. I had it on the dvd player the other day and left the room. I heard the bf laughing out loud at the scene where Buddy drinks an entire 2L of coke...appeals to the 11 year old boy in the 31 year old man.

    And Muppet Christmas Carol is epic. I love Michael Caine is a brilliant scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellen~


    MY fav IS "A Christmas Story"..um and I'm Jewish. Eh..oh well. What can I say? It's just a good old fashioned comedy.

    My other fav's are "The Ref" ,"Elf" and "Die Hard" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon, I LIKE it, but it's definitely not a favorite. I kind of have a love-hate thing with it. And YES, you have to see The Ref, you won't be disappointed!! I rented it with my bf the other week and he was LOL, which is something that doesn't happen easily. Let me know how you like it!

    Barbara, what's your favorite scene/line from A Christmas Story?? Die Hard...interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fav scene is when Ralphie beats up the bully. LOVE it!!!!!

    Well "Die Hard" was set during Christmas and hey, there is some good music there:) Ok, I had a thing for Bruce.

    ReplyDelete