Monday, December 21, 2009

What are your plans this holiday season?

Hey all! I'm getting ready to head to the airport to go home to Lexington, KY. I'll be there for almost a week, and I absolutely can't wait for a little R&R and quality time with my family and friends. It will be just what I need before I head back to NYC and face the reality of my current jobless situation. Ahh, I'm going to see if I can go at least a few days without worrying about it! 

Anyway, one of the things I like best about going back to the 'burbs is that it's the total opposite of the big bad city. There are trees everywhere, I can drive, people smile and wave when you pass them on the sidewalk, and I get to go to the mall—something I do just about once a year, only when I am home. It's nice to have a dose of normalcy every now and then. 

Another thing I love about going home during the holidays is seeing all the Christmas lights. Tacky or not, it's fun, and it totally helps put me in the holiday spirit! I'll try to snap some pics for ya and post them up later.

What's your favorite thing about this time of year? Do you have any plans? I wish every safe travels and a very happy holiday season! I'll be posting daily while I'm home, so be sure to check back!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE tacky Christmas lights - it's such a difference between what people put up in PA and TX. I haven't left any love for awhile, but I've been silently creepin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a big white house near where we lived in Lexington that had REDONK lights, and Santa on a throne in the foyer. Love Love LOVE holiday lights. I went low-key with lights at our house - one strand in a nice topiary and some tasteful wreaths. Many of our neighbors are Jewish, so I didn't want to be the gaudy gentiles on the block.
    My mother collects Santas, however, and she has over 40 in her house. Some of them are several feet tall and are worth several hundred $$. Ah, Christmas...

    SCS

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love to see you girls when you are in, we are staying here for the holidays, because my parents are going to Florida. Have a safe flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a house in New Jersey when I was growing up- the Mueller house- and everyone would flock to see it. It was this huge mansion and they went to town with the lights. They even had like a long porch connecting the main house to a guest house and the porch had arches and poles and they outfitted it to look like Santa and his reindeer were traveling through it. It was insane. Last year was the last time they did it because the father passed away. I spent all this time telling my half sister about how she should go see it this year and then my mom told me it was no more :(

    ReplyDelete