Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I had a Good Will Hunting style therapy sesh today. It was awesome.

Sorry for the late post today, friends, I've been busy exercising, Christmas shopping and talking about my feelings. That's right, I went to a psychologist today for the second time in my life. I really don't want to get into all the details because I do need to keep some of my personal life personal, but it turned out to be a good experience despite my initial hesitation. I've been having a lot of anxiety lately about various things, and I just needed to talk to someone to help me deal with those feelings as they arise. 

Ok, so the session wasn't quite on the Good Will Hunting level, but it was pretty darn good. The psychologist was a cool, normal woman with plenty of insight and helpful advice. She did quite a bit of talking, which I liked—unlike the therapist Betty goes to on Mad Men. The most he ever says is "Mmm hmm," which drives me nuts. I even got out a good cry, which apparently I really needed. 

This experience was much better than the time I went to see a sports psychologist when I was 16. I hit a major plateau with swimming, and for some reason my parents and coach thought it would be a good idea for me to talk to someone about it. The man was terrible. I'd talk and talk for what felt like forever and then he'd say, "Tell me more about that" or "Why is that?" Dude, if I freakin' knew WHY I wouldn't be here! Anyway, that wasn't so fun, but I'm glad I gave therapy another go—it's very healthy I think. 
 
There's really no reason for posting this picture other than to mention that Good Will Hunting first ignited my serious, lifelong crush on Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. Gotta love those Boston boyz. 

What about you: Have you ever been to a psychologist of any kind? Did it help? Who else loves Good Will Hunting?!

6 comments:

  1. I have never been to a pyschologist. I'm glad it was helpful for you. Just wanted to say how much I love Good Will Hunting! I remember I saw it twice in the theater when it came out. There is something about it that brings me that to that time when I first saw it and there was something sort of special about it to me, I don't know why. Matt Damon is so cute and looks so young in it! I'm not a huge Ben Affleck fan but he's also a cutie in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Damon is delicious.

    Talking to an uninterested, third party every now and again is a great idea. Way to take your emotional health seriously! If you feel crummy in your head and your heart, your EVERYTHING ELSE will start to suffer.

    Sounds like you have had a really productive day. And that ought to make you feel good, too.
    SCS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a few times.

    Had a rough time when my parents divorced and again after a horrible event in my early twenties. It can be helpful to unload on an unbiased person but I can't say their words ever did anything for me.

    Oh well, it's a crapshoot.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Matt Damon...it all pretty much started with this movie and then with what he said after he won an Oscar for it; "I was so glad I didn't screw anybody over to win this." I think he meant he let Ben share a writing credit even though we know who REALLY WROTE the movie. :)

    Anyways I went to a therapist a few times...one was awful and the other was a little more helpful. I think the most important thing is finding one who connects with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive done the therapist thing several times and the best advice I can give anyone is not to let a bad session get you down. A therapist is a lot like a boyfriend, you have to go through a lot of frogs. I think it is important to value your mental health and if one therapist isn't the write fit you need to keep trying until you find the one that is.

    Also, I absolutely ADORE Casey Affleck in every movie he is in. I have never gotten on the Ben or Matt train and I don't foresee that happening anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's right, Rain, I forgot Matt Damon said that!! Just shows what a cool guy he is. And LIS, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a crush on Casey...a lot of my friends don't get it, but I love him! DId you see Gone Baby Gone? So good.

    And yes, I agree with the fact that finding the right therapist for you is important. There are great ones out there, but sometimes finding them is the hard part!

    ReplyDelete