Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What's your breakfast of champions?

I actually did buy a box of Wheaties last week, but that's not what this post is about. This morning I had a really healthy, yummy breakfast that left a smile on my face--oatmeal and granola. Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast these days, but I've been looking for a way to jazz it up, and now I've found one!

Remember Erin from this Skinny Bitch post? Well, she's now adding granola to her O'Cookies Wholesome Bites Company, and I couldn't be more excited about it. She's still in the experimental stages, so she gave me a sample to test out. (Umm, Erin, wanna hire me as your full-time taste tester? I'd be really good at it, I swear). Look how cute that packaging is. It even has the ingredients written on the little card: Oats, almonds, dried cranberries, coconut flakes, raw honey, and coconut oil--everything is organic, of course.

I recently switched from the sugary oatmeal flavors to plain, and without something delicious like Erin's Cherry Almond Granola to mix in, it just tastes...well...plain. The verdict: YUM-MY! It tasted fresh and healthy, with just the right amount of sweetness--perfection! But, because this is a critique and Erin wants my honest opinion, the only thing I would maybe change is having full almonds in the mix. Halves or slivers might work better. That's just my personal preference, but Liza said she really likes the full almonds, so what the heck do I know?

Oh, and I have to mention that the bowl I ate my oatmeal in was made by Jenn! She gave it to me for my birthday. I had a lotta love in my breakfast this morning, and it made me really happy. What's your breakfast of champions? And help Erin out: How do you usually like your granola? (Big chunks? small chunks? sweet? nuts or no nuts?)

12 comments:

  1. My favorite way to "pimp" out my oatmeal is to add chopped apple, peanut butter, and a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips.

    Those o'cookies look great - I've been wanting to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, I've been reading your blog for a while now and I've never commented BUT today, I saw you comment on another blog I read, Self's Eat Like Me. Just wanted to say hi and love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runnerskitchen--I can hook you up with some samples, just say the word!

    Hi Sophia! So glad you like the blog and commented today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite as well! There is this amazing brunch place by my house, and I cannot pass up the oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit, and honey. Everyone thinks I'm being oh, so healthy but really I crave it way more than the french toast, etc.

    I'll have to try the homemade version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. The packaging is adorable -- they would make great stocking stuffers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I "say the word" about a sample? Just kidding, but seriously...

    I actually love to heat 1/8 cup old-fashioned oats, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup frozen fruit, and a dash of cinnamon in microwave for 3 minutes (until oats are cooked). In meantime, dice up 1 apple. When oats are done, add apple slices and microwave another minute (until apple is tender). Then mix with 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter or 1 tsp. flax seeds. Doesn't get much better--or really easier--than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love granola just straight out of hand. I normally mix it with yogurt and strawberries for lunch. I've been making my own granola and it is pretty easy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My BOC is pizza. Especially reheated pizzeria pizza. Nothing makes me happier in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuum, Lori! What do you put in your granola??

    Kara, you are too funny. What pizza topping makes u happiest?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. POH, good call on the cinnamon...I think I'm going to put that on my growing list of things to add to my oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha.. at first I though, huh, what Jenn made Ellen oatmeal!? And then I saw edges of the bowl... ha.. glad you are putting it to use! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I am, Jenn! It's amazing how much more enjoyable food is when you have a pretty bowl or plate to put it on.

    ReplyDelete