Thursday, October 15, 2009

Three Little Words

Last night I babysat for the same two girls I wrote about last month. When I was putting them to bed, the older girl said, "I love you." Whaaat? Panic set in. Did I just hear what I think I heard? Even I knew what I had heard, I was scared I might have been hallucinating. Not knowing what to do, I quickly blurted out, "LoveyouGOODNIGHT!" all as one big word.

I was so awkward about it (it kinda reminded me of the time a boy said those words to me for the first time. Umm, yeah, awkward). I was certainly touched, but a bit confused. Is it normal for an 11 year-old girl to tell her babysitter she loves her after only the second time meeting her? I mean, that's kinda like a guy dropping the L-bomb on a second date. Crazy.

This sudden outburst of affection was no doubt brought on by the fact that just moments before I sang the bedtime song my dad used to sing to me, which I wrote about here. I felt a little silly singing at first, but I kept going because I knew they'd love it. They did. Thanks, Dad.

No matter who it is telling you those three little words, it's always a nice feeling. Tell me: Who was the last person to say "I love you," and how did it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment