Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What motivates you to work out?

I was just assigned a project for Glamour.com to gather quotes from women about what motivates them to workout, and it got me thinking about what my answer to the question would be.

The drive I have to be the best version of myself is the main thing that motivates me to workout. Whether it's with my body or career goals, I'm constantly striving to be better. I think this inner-competitiveness is healthy (who wants to be complacent?), but sometimes I know that I am a bit too hard on myself, especially when I start comparing myself to other women. So, I suppose it is vanity that motivates me, as embarrassing as it is to admit.

However, it's not just vanity. I have been working out for as long as I can remember (two swim practices a day starting at age 11), so I think I would just feel weird if I wasn't working out on a regular basis. Going for a nice run or spinning class in the morning starts my day off right. If I go more than a few days without exercising (which never happens unless I'm on vacation), my body just feels out of whack and lethargic.

Now that I'm working in an office five days a week, blogging and doing outside freelance work, I need to reorganize my routine so that I still make time to work out. I had planned to at least do my Physique57 video before work this am, but I had some emails to write and blogging to finish up, so it didn't quite happen. I did 3 sets of 10 pushups before I hopped in the shower, but after the way I ate in Charleston over the weekend, I don't think that's gonna cut it. I suppose I'll have to hit up the gym after work!

If you want to share what motivates YOU for my Glamour project, please feel free to write me at firednfab@gmail.com by tomorrow at 6pm. I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. i think aside from being healthy, for women it does have vanity mixed in our motivation. It does feel good to work out though coz it gives you that accomplished feeling of being able to endure all that hard work.
    Even if it's just a short run or a full work-out. When you sweat it just gives you that refreshed feeling whilst the future outcome can be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I would say most ppl. work out for vanity reasons. I don't quite know if that's a fair way to state it, though. Wanting to look good and feel good about the way you look isn't what i consider vanity. I also still play recreational sports, so I'm not trying to be embarrassed out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Flip...vanity really isn't negative at all when you think of it like that! Looking and feeling good pours into all other areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete