Monday, September 21, 2009

What do you have a soft spot for?

I have a major soft spot for people who are by themselves in public places like restaurants and movie theaters. This past Thursday night, Luke and I were eating dinner in a casual, diner-style restaurant where I saw a guy about our age reading the newspaper and eating a burger and fries by himself. I just stared at him thinking, I hope he's not lonely. I hope he has lots of friends and family. I hope he gets good, home-cooked meals from time to time. I'm fully aware that just because he's by himself does not mean he's a friendless loser, but for some reason my imagination just automatically goes there. This particular guy seemed totally content to be relaxing with a burger after a long day at work (it was about 9pm), but some people truly do look lonely when they're by themselves, and that's when my heart just melts.

The ironic thing about this is that I do things on my own quite a bit and I like it. I would hate for someone to feel sorry for me. However, now that I'm working from home and rarely have any contact with the outside world during the day, it's getting harder and harder to for me to enjoy my own company. Now, if more of my friends could just lose their jobs, I'd be SET! Juuust kidding.

Tell me: What do you have a soft spot for?

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Elle! Me too! It is a double soft spot if they are elderly. Elderly people in general get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    I just saw this comment thing on your blog and then went to mine only to see I had a comment from you! I have been loving your blog, John and I read it weekly...someone should be paying you for this great insight into the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa, you're too nice! Glad you're enjoying it :) It's funny, Luke and I both commented on your blog on the same day and we didn't even tell each other we were reading it! Hope all is well, xoxo

    ReplyDelete