Today is the three-year anniversary of my dad's death, and while I had planned on writing him a letter, just like this beautiful one he wrote to me years ago, I decided against it. I started thinking and stressing too much about making it perfect, and that's really not what I do on this blog. I like to do everything quick and straight off the dome to keep things honest and authentic. So, now I'm going to make a random list of facts about my dad so the people that never knew him can get a sense of what he was like. And for the people that did—well, I think this will bring a smile to your face. Here it goes.
1. Loved to sing, and when he would randomly burst into song, he'd tell us it was a "hit off his record back in the day." Sorry Dad, we never believed you were a famous singer—not even when we were five years-old.
2. Encouraged me to chase my dreams, but made me realize that all the success in the world means nothing if you aren't truly a good person.
3. Blamed the dog, Trippy, when he farted—even if he was the only one in the room.
4. Always made me feel beautiful—through braces, glasses that were bigger than my face, my frizzy hair phase and when my face looked like a pepperoni pizza.
5. Was an amazing athlete, and made the UK football team as a walk-on under Bear Bryant, one of the greatest college coaches of all time.
6. Loved a good ol' reuben sandwich.
7. Was a rebel. One time when he was 15, he went to buy a loaf of bread for his mom, and didn't return for three days—without the bread.
8. Loved his family more than anything in the world. Here he is, second from the left, with his two brothers in the middle and first cousins.
9. Was my mom's "Knight in shining armor."
10. Had the same best friend, Bobby Clark, for almost 60 years. Bobby was by his side until the very end.
11. Was always proud of me, even when I came in last in a swimming race (which, ahem, didn't happen often) or brought home C's on my report card.
12. Was just as well-liked as he was respected.
13. Loved a good, hearty breakfast at Frisch's Big Boy. haha
14. Was the dad on the sidelines screaming at the referee to "OPEN HIS EYES!!!"
15. Took me on a "date" when I was 10 and bought me a corsage. Best. date. ever.
16. Sang this song to us, even when we were probably too old for bedtime songs.
17. Was undeniably handsome. Obvi.
18. Liked to hug me—for a really long time, all the time, sometimes more than I wanted. I would kill for one of those hugs right now.
19. Was the strong, silent type, but would burst out into a belly-laugh at random moments, and could totally melt you with his smile.
20. Was truly, the best dad in the WORLD.
Love you, Dad!!!
For those of you who knew my dad, is there anything you'd like to add to the list? For everyone else, is there anyone you'd like to remember today? Please share.