Thursday, November 19, 2009

Eco-friendly jewelry and healthy margaritas

You may remember my new friend Arielle from this post (aka the peacock from Halloween). After she lost her job when the recession hit, she took the opportunity to start her own business in NYC, Be Well with Arielle, Health Counseling and JeWELLry. Last night I went to her launch party, and it was amazing. She is now officially a business woman--I love the sound of THAT!

Ok, so once again my little camera didn't quite capture everything as clearly as I would have liked, however someone put a bug in my ear that I'm getting a new one for my birthday next week, so that will solve my blurry picture problem soon! (I promise birthday fairy, I will take better care of this one!!!)

Arielle was swarmed with people every time I looked in her direction, but when I finally caught her eye, she came over and said a big friendly hello. She seemed so excited and appreciative for the wonderful turn out, it was so cute.

It took me forever to fight my way up to the jewelry display. Everyone was going crazy for these necklaces, and I can't say I blame them. They are so cool!

Isn't this bright blue one pretty? It would be the perfect touch to any cocktail dress. Helllo, holiday season! All the pieces are made from recycled metals, vintage chains and reclaimed crystals, so not only will you look fabulous wearing them, but you'll feel great, too!

The food was provided by Chelsea Catering, and it was de-lish. Seriously, y'all. Anyone who saw Jenn and I standing by the food table most likely assumed we were having a guac eating contest. We couldn't get enough! The margs were tasty too, and "healthy." I believe they were mixed with some sort of organic juices, but now I can't recall the name. Oops. (Um yeah, I had a few too many!)

I'm not sure what was in that dip, but it made the fresh veggies taste even better. For dessert, cookies from This Chic Bakes were passed out. These healthy treats are yummy, and surprisingly, the green tea/lemon cookie was my favorite!

Now this is just a hunch, but I don't think ponytail guy and his buddy were actually invited to the party or had intentions of buying any jewelry for their girlfriends. They seemed pretty into the free food and booze!

I thought this sign was pretty funny. Just as Jenn walked out of the restroom, her name was being called out over a microphone to announce that she won a pretty ring from Arielle's line!

Jenn doesn't like to be in the spotlight, (which is why, of course, I put her on my blog so much) so it was funny watching her walk up to collect her gift.

Check out Arielle's website here. I love that she's combining fashion with wellness! She's taking me on a grocery shopping tour soon to help me make healthier choices, and I absolutely cannot WAIT!

What food shopping questions should I ask her? What would YOU want to know?

9 comments:

  1. All I can say is thank you R Bar for having a fabulous halloween party!!!!

    You are an awesome writer.

    Get ready for the next jeWELLry collection...peacock inspired!!

    Ponytail dude and guy next to him are my jewelers!! My mom was wondering who they were too! They make it happen..they literally polish each ring, glue in each pearl, oxidize the inside and stamp each one with "iloveme"!

    Healthy Margaritas were made with Hornitos 100% Blue Agave Tequila, raw agave and Organic Stirrings Margarita Mix from Whole Foods!

    We'll stop by the organic mixes during our supermarket tour...thats a fun aisle!!!

    Can't wait for the tour!

    xo
    be well,
    arielle
    www.bewellwitharielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask meat or no meat?!

    http://girlpresss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa! All depends on your bioindividuality...what works for me, or doesnt work for me may not necessarily work for the same for you. I tried becoming vegetarian and vegan while i was going to school...after a few months, became so weak- emotionally, physically, mentally- didnt realize it was the meat until one day...been eating meat ever since. But, a few of my friends have been vegetarian for like 16 years! So go figure...all depends on your bioindividuality...

    You can come along on the supermarket food tour! Unless you both prefer a private session!

    be well,
    arielle
    www.bewellwitharielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Arielle, I KNEW I was going to put my foot in my mouth for the "ponytail guy" comment! ahhh, sorry! Whenever I see the male species at a fashion party, I always assume they're there for the booze and women. (Most the time, I'm pretty sure they are).

    Bioindividuatlity...interesting. We'll have to talk more about it on our food shopping tour. I'm game to go with Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to learn more about quinoa: does it come in a sack? How do you cook it? What can it be added to?

    I see it at the buffet at the farmer's market and tried it after reading one of your "food diary" posts because the very cute, skinny girl noted including it in her dinner. I enjoyed what I tried, but want to learn more about it!

    Also - we LOVE baby bella mushrooms. What are some other good mushrooms to buy based on price and general yumminess?

    SCS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon- so happy you mentioned quinoa! Quinoa is one of the best grains to eat..and the most under-rated. Believe it or not, its a great source of protein too! You can buy at the farmers market (never tried it from there) or you can get it at any natural foods store. Comes in red and regular color (tan). both are delicious..i like to mix them to add some color.

    It's important to soak the grains first (you should always soak grains and beans before you cook it), or if you dont have time, a quick rinse is fine. Read the back of the package or ask farmers market person!- depending on quinoa, usually takes 15-20 min to cook. Make like you would make rice..put in boiling water, and cook for about 15-20 min until the the quinoa becomes see-through and the outer rim is more prominent.

    My favorite quinoa recipe is my own..."Unfried Quinoa"- like fried rice, only unfried and made with quinoa!

    i put egg, chopped up lacinato kale, frozen/fresh peas, chopped red pepper, scallions, sliced carrots. Sprinkle a little toasted sesame oil, tamari (wheat free soy sauce), raw agave (low glycemic and great alternative to sugar and honey) and YUM!!!!

    LOVE the following recipe links too: http://www.101cookbooks.com/

    http://www.integrativenutrition.com/Resources/RecipeList.aspx

    Have fun and chew! Hope you like it!! Let me know how it goes!

    xo

    arielle@bewellwitharielle.com
    www.bewellwitharielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!

    Look at what you have done Ellen - connecting people through healthy food!

    SCS

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHAHA! it makes my day when i see jennifer in your blog posts. sounds like a fun party!! i think i have to put that sign on my bathroom at home....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I am LOVING the dialogue going on here!!

    Stacy, I'm glad you love seeing Jenn being embarrassed just as much as I do ;)

    ReplyDelete