Thursday, February 25, 2010

How important is it for your friends and family to like the guy you're dating?

Most everyone has probably dated someone that their fam and friends weren't particularly fond of. I have, and it sucks. You spend so much energy trying to show them that, "No, really, he's a great guy. When it's just the two of us, you should see the way he..." Stop. Right there. If you ever catch yourself saying this, break up with the dude—pronto!

Did anyone see the episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians when Kourtney's baby daddy, Scott, gets wiggity-wasted and stuffs a $100 bill down a waiter's throat? Crazytown. I don't doubt that Scott is a royal asshole, but strangely, I kind of like him. He's funny. Now, would I want anyone I remotely care about to date him? Um, no. Just look at the suit he's wearing. And that slicked back hair. He even looks like a scumbag. I understand why the 'Dash clan isn't supportive of the relationship, but I'll always secretly be rooting for him.

So tell me: Have you ever dated a guy your loved ones didn't like? Is it important to have their approval?

3 comments:

  1. It is so important. And frankly, your friends and family have some objectivity that you don't have because you are thinking with your loins. And life really is easier if folks get along. They don't have to be besties, but some mutual respect is key. My parents LOVE my boyfriend. He gets along well with them, they see how he treats me, they like his values. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."

    SCS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having my family like my guy is a HUGE relief! I dated a hotshot once who I didn't find out until we broke up that Mom didn't like. Turns out Mama really does know best most of the time, and if I didn't have her approval, I'd have serious doubts about marrying Keegan.

    Btw, I HATE the way that Scott guy looks. His suit & hair scream avoid avoid avoid!

    http://haliwoodsaywhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! And it makes it so difficult! And 9 times out of 10 your friends and family are RIGHT!!

    ReplyDelete