Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Another day, another dollar

Hollar! Geeze, I totally forgot to wish everyone a muy happy Cinco de Mayo! My bf and I "celebrated" by eating this very same taco salad. Only this time, I just had half. Success! Am I a huge loser for not consuming one single cerveza or 'rita on this holiday? Don't answer that. I just wasn't in the mood, plus you know I'd always rather eat my calories than drink 'em.

So let me tell you about my day. I didn't have much--ok anything--on the books, so when Jenn asked if I wanted to earn a little extra cash by helping her return clothing samples from a shoot she recently styled, I said YES. I met her at her apartment in the am to get the plan of attack for the day. Run all over NYC in 80 degree heat with insanely heavy bags hanging off my arms. Got it.

Feeling happy to be out and about doing something, I thought my labor-intensive workday just might actually be fun. Umm yeah, that was a fleeting feeling. It lasted all of two minutes, and then it happened. Riiiiip! The bag of shoes I was carrying totally bottomed-out, and before I knew it, I was sprawled on the ground picking up the boxes. I think my reaction to the whole ordeal was a bit dramatic, but it was a reflex. And might I add that with the exception of a little old Chinese lady offering me her small plastic bag (Not sure how that could have helped?), no one lended a helping hand. Thanks, assholes.

This pretty much sums up what I was feeling at the time: Bummed. Ohh and as I was bending over, a young gentleman walking past remarked, "Thanks for the G-show, shawty." Yes. He did. Uhh...your...welcome? I have no idea what a G-show is, but I can only assume that my thong was hanging out for the world to see. Sweet.


It took me a while to get reorganized, but I finally pulled it together and was back on my way. I even stopped a lady--no doubt a tourist--to take this pic! I would have been royally screwed if Jenn hadn't given me her camo L.L. Bean tote just in case. Thank GOD. I've been wanting that exact same bag for forever and no matter how much hinting I have done around my birthday and Christmas time, I have yet to get it. (Wink wink wink. Hint hint hint. C'mon!)

So yeah, it wasn't exactly the highest paying gig, but it was certainly better than nothing. Plus I love working with, er, for my friends. I seriously feel like I learn more and more about the meaning of a dollar every single day.

Tell me: When do you think you learned the true worth of a dollar?

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Cute blog! I see you live in New York. Please stop by my blog when you get a chance. I'm doing a great New York Giveaway : ) I think you'll enjoy.

    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Jonesy, I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a fun blog. I would say I learned the value of a dollar when I started my first job...but then again, sometimes I STILL don't think I've learned the value of a dollar, especially when it comes to buying healthy foods!

    ReplyDelete