Saturday, August 8, 2009

Help, I need advice! Should I get a part-time job?

So I've been putting off getting a part-time job. Not because I'm lazy—quite the opposite—but because as a freelancer, I want to be as flexible as possible. When editors email me at the last minute to go out on a reporting assignment or to turn around a project in 48 hours, I want to always be able to say yes. I don't want anything else holding me back. However, it's getting to the point where I don't really think I have a choice. 

Yesterday, I turned to Craigslist. I felt kind of silly looking at jobs, like jobs I had when I was 20 years old, but I suppose this is not a time to let my pride get the best of me.( I've already participated in focus group studies for a little extra dough.) As I searched, I saw some interesting and very questionable jobs. One posting was for girls who were willing to be tickled for hours on end for money. At the end of the ad, it said "nothing sexual will be involved." Alllrighty then. Next. 

My ideal job would be something very early in the morning that wouldn't really interfere with my daily routine or other job opportunities. I suppose those jobs would be something like working at a desk in a gym (I'd get a free gym membership--bonus!) or working in a cafe. Most of the barista jobs I've seen want someone with experience though, so I guess that's out. Hmm, what else could I do?

I have been a waitress several different times throughout my life, and although I think it is something everyone should be required to do at least once, I just cannot do it again. I've had enough "character-building" experiences to last me a lifetime. I don't need any more. Plus, I have my own problems to deal with—handing grumpy customers on a weekly basis will only bring me down.

I'm off to a reporting gig I do for Glamour a few times a month, and after I'm thinking about applying to a part-time cashier job I saw at a popular, casual downtown restaurant. I just don't know if I could do it though. If I worked there, I would see people I know frequently, and I'm not sure if I can handle the embarrassment. 

What do you guys think? Am I being a baby? Do I just need to suck it up? HELP!!!

5 comments:

  1. made me laugh reading about being tickled for hours lol well, idont know much about work but i think you being a freelancer is great; although a gym membership that comes along with the job sounds just about nice ;)

    i do hope you'll get a nice flexible part-time job ^_^ Good luck Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Odessa! Yeah, if you ever need to be entertained, just go to Craigslist.com...they have the most RANDOM job postings. Not all are bad though. I'm going to continue to keep freelancing (and looking for a full-time job), but I do need a little something extra to supplement my income. I have a couple ideas on the horizon...I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Elle! Who knows maybe a PT job would give you even more entertaining moments to write about on you blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Al! I like the way you think...that's a nice, positive spin on the situation!

    ReplyDelete